Welcome to Project Swami
Sampled Waveforms And Musical Instruments is a collection of free software for editing and managing musical instruments for MIDI music composition. Current focus is primarily the SoundFont format, which is an open standard for defining and storing audio sample based instruments. Varying levels of support for other instrument formats may be added in the future.
Project Software Components
- Swami - Graphical user interface for editing and managing instruments.
- libswami - Shared library used by Swami for non graphical user interface functionality.
- libInstPatch (lib Instrument Patch) - A software library for editing and manipulating instrument files.
- CRAM - New compression format for use with hybrid audio/binary data such as instruments.
- PatchesDB - Software for hosting online instrument sharing communities.
- Software synthesizer, which can utilize any OS supported sound card.
- 24 bit SoundFont editing support (Note: FluidSynth currently is limited to 16 bit playback).
- Loop point finder for searching for optimal looping candidates
- Loop point overlapping cross section view as a visual aid to setting loops
- FFT based auto tuning plugin, for semi-automated tuning of samples and instruments
Swami is developed on Linux and although it has been known to run on Mac OS X (using Fink) and occasionally on Windows, there have never been official installers on those operating systems. We would also like to see Swami running on these platforms, but supporting them is far from trivial. If you are interested in using Swami on one of these operating systems, pitch in to help support these efforts!